Newborn Declared Dead: Max Hospital Licence Can Be Cancelled If Found Guilty, Says Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain

Login   |  Register Now

Follow us with

Newborn Declared Dead: Max Hospital Licence Can Be Cancelled If Found Guilty, Says Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain

Posted on : Saturday 2nd of December 2017

Total 1 News Image

NEW DELHI:  The licence of an upscale Delhi hospital, which incorrectly declared a baby dead along with his still-born twin and handed over the bodies to the parents in plastic bags, can be cancelled if it is found guilty, Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain said today.

A preliminary report is expected to arrive by Monday evening and the health department will issue the detailed report within a week, the minister said. The inquiry was ordered yesterday by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.

The twins, born on Thursday morning at a Max Hospital in north Delhi's Shalimar Bagh, were being taken for burial about six hours after they had been handed over to the family when their parents realized, to their complete shock, that one of the babies was squirming in its package. "They handed us both bodies wrapped like a courier package from the back door. After we travelled three km, we felt a movement in one (bag). We ripped it open, found bits of plastic and the baby inside, breathing," said Kailash, the baby's grandfather.

The surviving twin, the parents were told, needed critical medical care and had to be kept in an incubator. "The hospital said for three days it will cost Rs. 1 lakh each and after that it would cost 50,000 each day, and he had to be kept for three months," said a relative.

As the family decided to go to a smaller hospital, it was told that the second baby was also dead.

The family says they were not provided a death certificate, a prerequisite while discharging bodies to families. Sources at Max Hospital have told NDTV that according to the patient folder, the baby was declared dead. 

The child's mother, Varsha, told NDTV, "We were made to sign an undertaking that there were no chances of survival but as long as there is a heartbeat, my son should receive medical treatment and we would bear all expenses."

Max Healthcare said the doctor responsible for the blunder had been sent on leave.

Courtesy : NDTV

Disclaimer: The contents or any information provided here is strictly personal and way4indians.com does not hold any responsibility or liability on them. We shall endeavor to upload/publish as many of the comments that are submitted as possible within a reasonable span of time, but we do not guarantee that all comments that are submitted will be uploaded/published. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten other members; have obscene, unlawful, defamatory, libelous, hateful, or otherwise objectionable content; or have spam, commercial or advertising content or links are liable to be removed by the editors. We also reserve the right to edit the comments that do get published. Please do not post any private information unless you want it to be available publicly.

More Articles

Heatwave to continue in Delhi, UP, ..

New Delhi: The Indian Meteoroligical Department on Friday said that the existing h...

CSC lifts ban on appointing expats to ..

KUWAIT CITY : A recent study concerning the distribution of employees at the Ministry of Health according to national...

Kuwaitis warned not to travel Nipah vi..

NEW DELHI: Kuwaiti Embassy in New Delhi issued a warning on Thursday to Kuwaiti citizens in India and those planning ...

Services of Expat doctors will be term..

KUWAIT CITY : A source familiar with the Civil Service Commission said that service of expatriate doctors is terminat...

'MH370 Search In Final Week': Malay..

PUNE:  The search for missing Malaysian Airlines, MH-370, is in its final wee...

PM Modi, Sheikh Hasina To Inaugarat..

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, along with his Bangladeshi counterpart Sheikh Hasina...

The 10 Latest Facts On Nipah Virus Inc..

NEW DELHI:  With 11 people killed by the brain-damaging NIPAH (NiV) virus in Kerala, here's an explainer of ...

Filipino domestic workers barred from ..

MANILA, Philippines : The Filipino domestic workers who were until now barred from leaving for Kuwait, can fly next w...

Fear That Nipah Virus Has Crossed B..

KOCHI:  Two people suspected to be infected with the brain-damaging Nipah vir...

Kumaraswamy takes oath as Karnataka..

Bengaluru: A JD(S)-Congress coalition government headed by H D Kumaraswamy was swo...

‘Jallianwala Bagh’: DMK Barb On..

CHENNAI:  A day after 10 people were killed in police firing during anti-Ster...

34,000 seats for Kuwaitis and children..

KUWAIT CITY : The Ministry of Higher Education will allot 34,000 seats for secondary level Kuwaiti students and child...

Advertisements

Copyright © 2012-2018, All rights Reserved   |  www.way4indians.com  |  This Logo is a trademark of Way4Indians. For Enquires, please contact : info@way4indians.com